Author Topic: Upgrading Firmware on Optipoint 420 Standard Phones  (Read 8606 times)

Offline jnzy111

• View Profile
Upgrading Firmware on Optipoint 420 Standard Phones
« on: March 30, 2012, 04:19:09 pm »

Hello...

Anyone ever do this?

Is a DLS Server required?

I want to go from 5.0.19.0 to 6x

Thanks!

Offline Kimera

• Global Moderator
  • Kimera (Ars Gratia Artis)
    • View Profile
    • SIEMENS Enterprise Wiki
Re: Upgrading Firmware on Optipoint 420 Standard Phones
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 05:28:20 pm »
Yes, it's quite normal to upgrade an optiPoint 4x0 series (HFA/SIP).

Better if you read first this page about optiPoint 4x0 HFA (the HiPath Feature Access protocol software variant), it's just an introduction.

HiPath DLS (now OpenScape DLS) is not needed if you are going to upgrade only few optiPoint phones.

If you've a large deployment a DLS could be very useful in terms of mass deployment (but it adds also a little bit of complexity into the infrastructure in which the phones were installed): it's a software components and you need how exactly use it to save your time otherwise it's better you perform upgrades manually phone by phone.

Also, read Release Notes...

Best regards,
Kimera.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:30:04 pm by Kimera »
(Ethical) Hackers are not just skilled, they are lucky people and they are persistent people. It's a combination of all three.
"Die Lösung ist immer einfach, man muss sie nur finden" Alexander Solschenizyn

I'm all for being a Partner, and a Professional. But if you want me to sell your products...you need to scratch my back a little too.

Offline jnzy111

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 09:27:52 pm »

Thanks Kimera,

That's some great information..

So how would I go about upgrading just a few phones?

--Mike

Offline Kimera

• Global Moderator
  • Kimera (Ars Gratia Artis)
    • View Profile
    • SIEMENS Enterprise Wiki
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 11:02:29 am »
Mike...first: take your time.

Second: you should gather all relevant documentation (like gathering optiPoint 4x0 HFA Manuals, related released software Release Notes, the Siemens Expert Wiki I pointed you yet) before doing something that could become potentially problematic (irresponsibe phones, Boot issues and so on...).

Third: read them carefully (you'll able to find there all you're looking for, tips and tricks too).

Finally you will be able to perform the software upgrade by hand (without DLS) phone by phone without issues.

Regards,
Kimera.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:07:26 am by Kimera »
(Ethical) Hackers are not just skilled, they are lucky people and they are persistent people. It's a combination of all three.
"Die Lösung ist immer einfach, man muss sie nur finden" Alexander Solschenizyn

I'm all for being a Partner, and a Professional. But if you want me to sell your products...you need to scratch my back a little too.